Sunday, June 25, 2006

What-ifs and lifetime events modeller

I've recently rediscovered the "what if" scenario tool in MS Money. I've known about it for a while, but never really had the need to use them.

I've added a couple of articles to the site to show what they do:

I had cause to use the tools today, to try out some scenarios which may affect me in the next months and a couple in the next few years. It's quite illuminating. The cash flow what-if scenario tool is of more immediate use to me, as I use the cash flow extensively in my day to day use of Microsoft Money.

The lifetime events modeller is the longer term planning tool for Money. It's a little more difficult to place oneself in the longer term view - as it can only be a rough guide to the future. I use that tool mainly for making sure the future looks bright, and I'll have enough money for University fees in the future for my son.

Both of these tools are found easily in the program (see the articles). They're definitely something you need to keep in the back of your mind when using the program for planning purposes.

No comments: